Vintage Westwood Horizons Partners With UCLA To Promote Senior Health
Posted Monday July 7, 2014 2:43 pm
Vintage Westwood Horizons is teaming with UCLA to expand its mission of promoting residents’ health and well-being.
Rather than focusing on limitations and disabilities, we are always looking for ways to express our philosophy of a healthy mind, body and spirit,” says Ferri Fathi, executive director.
The community reached out to the school a few months ago, and is now working with Dr. Magdalena Ptaszny and the university’s department of internal medicine and hospitalist services, which will provide speakers, to create a series of seminars slated to start in August.
Students and a liaison from the department surveyed residents about topics they felt would most improve their health. Residents were asked to rank topics in categories including brain and mental health, vision and balance issues, heart and bone health, sleep, prevention issues like healthy eating and exercise, medication, insurance and many more.
The purpose, says Fathi, is “to provide seniors with high-quality information with the goal of empowering them to continue leading healthy and fulfilling lives. We want to educate seniors about specific issues so they can help themselves and hopefully prevent recurring hospitalizations or the need to go to the hospital at all.”
The free programs will be announced at Vintage Westwood Horizons and the community’s neighborhood, and be open to guests. “We are excited to be collaborating with UCLA for what I believe will be an effective community education program,” says Fathi.
As an independent living community, preserving that independence is vital, says Fathi. “We focus on an active life-style for everyone who lives here.” To that end there is a full calendar of activities for the 200 residents “who are a lively selection of well-educated seniors leading productive lives,” says Fathi.
A few examples among the many offerings include:
• Computer classes, along with learning how to use iPhones, tablets and Skype with loved ones.
• A flower-arranging class that helps decorate the residence with its bouquets.
• Chair yoga and balance classes taught by four instructors who match activities to residents’ fitness levels. Saturday’s class includes weights, balls and other equipment.
• Socialization opportunities include happy hour with wine and cheese and live music every Friday; and candlelight dinners twice a month where residents can invite outside guests.
• Twice a week outings have included Pechanga Resort, Santa Barbara, Santa Anita Park and the Camarillo Outlets.
• The Walking Club not only strolls local sites like the La Brea Tarpits and the UCLA Sculpture Gardens, but travels to scenic sites such as Balboa Park.
Vintage Westwood Horizons is at 947 Tiverton Ave. For more information: www.vintagesenior.com, 310-341-4364.