Beverly Hills News – Steven Seagal Latest To Be Investigated for Sexual Assault
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 – 12:22 PM
(CNS) – The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office is reviewing a potential sexual assault case against actor Steven Seagal, a spokesman for the office said Friday.
Authorities did not disclose details of the case, which was presented to prosecutors last week by the Beverly Hills Police Department.
In an interview that aired last month on NBC’s “Megyn Kelly Today,” a woman named Regina Simons claimed the actor raped her in 1993 when she was 18.
Simons, who was an extra in the film “On Deadly Ground,” said Seagal invited her to what she believed was his house for a party and that she realized when she arrived that she was the only one there with him.
“Immediately I asked him where everyone else was for this wrap party. And he said that everyone had left and he said he wanted to show me something and took me into what seemed to be a bedroom, there was a bed in there, and then closed the door and tried to kiss me and took my clothes off. And before I knew it, he was on top of me, and I couldn’t move. I just completely froze and even felt like I left my body … I know I was crying. I know there were tears coming down my face,” she alleged. “There was not anything from him to even see if I was OK.”
“I know what consent is and that was definitely not consensual,” Simons alleged in the interview.
She said she first notified Los Angeles police about what happened and that they determined the investigation should be handled by the Beverly Hills Police Department.
Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office, declined to say Friday whether the potential case under review involves Regina Simons.
Attempts to reach representatives for Seagal were not immediately successful.
Meanwhile, the District Attorney’s Office announced that it also was reviewing a potential case against prominent agent Adam Venit that had been presented by the Los Angeles Police Department on Tuesday.
Santiago declined to say whether the case involved actor Terry Crews, who filed a lawsuit last December alleging that Venit grabbed his genitals during a party.
In November, District Attorney Jackie Lacey said she had created a specialized task force in her office to evaluate cases of “sexual abuse in the entertainment industry.” She said the task force includes “specially trained” sex-crimes prosecutors who will review cases to determine if criminal charges are warranted.
The District Attorney’s Office confirmed Thursday that the Los Angeles Police Department had submitted three potential sexual assault cases against disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein to prosecutors for consideration of possible charges. The office is also believed to be reviewing two other possible cases against Weinstein that were previously submitted by the Beverly Hills Police Department.
Weinstein, who has been accused by dozens of women of sexual misconduct or assault, is also being investigated by police in New York and London. Weinstein has repeatedly denied having any non-consensual sex.