Protesters Arrested at LA City Hall in Demonstration Against US Attorney General for Immigration Policies
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 – 4:00 PM
(CNS) – U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions blasted what he called the “open border crowd” in comments delivered Tuesday in downtown Los Angeles, citing Democratic immigration policies that have allowed over one million undocumented immigrants to remain free of prosecution in the Southland.
“This is the Trump era,” Sessions said at a meeting of the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. “We are enforcing our laws again. We know whose side we’re on — we’re on the side of police, and we’re on the side of the American people.”
With a crowd of protesters gathered outside the hotel, Sessions told the conservative advocacy group that in the United States, “we have the most generous immigration laws in the world,” but when they are enforced, “we get attacked in the media by the so-called elites and their special interests.”
The attorney general’s comments came on a day when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld President Donald Trump’s ban on foreign visitors and immigrants from seven nations. For the past several weeks, the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy on undocumented immigrants — including the now- rescinded policy of separating children from their parents when they are apprehended at the Mexican border — has sparked an international outcry.
Despite the uproar, Sessions said he was convinced that Americans support the government’s immigration efforts.
“In the 2016 election, voters said loud and clear that they wanted a lawful system of immigration that serves the national interest,” he said. “They said we’ve waited long enough. I believe that this is one of the main reasons that President Trump won. He promised to tackle this crisis that had been ignored or made worse by so many before him. And now he’s doing exactly what the American people asked him to do.”
Sessions suggested that California’s so-called “sanctuary law” is drastically curtailing the efforts of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to arrest and prosecute criminal immigrants.
“That has real consequences,” Sessions told the gathering Tuesday. “ICE tells us that they are able to locate only about 6 percent of the criminals they ask sanctuary jurisdictions to turn over. The other 94 percent are walking free and often on their way to their next victim.”
“If they won’t allow us to deport someone who enters illegally and then commits another crime — who will they agree to deport?” the AG asked. “Sadly, we know the answer to this — nobody.”
Sessions added that a non-prosecutorial immigration policy “sends a message” to those in developing nations who don’t know U.S. immigration laws and believe they will be safe from prosecution once they cross the border.
“Gangs and drug cartels … see whether we deport criminals or not,” Sessions said. “They see whether we have a border wall or not. They see whether we reward illegal aliens with benefits or not.
“That’s why, under President Trump’s leadership, the Department of Justice is working to end sanctuary policies,” he continued, referring to a recent DOJ lawsuit against the state that alleges that California laws obstruct enforcement of federal immigration law and harm public safety.
“I am confident that together we are going to win that case,” Sessions said. “It has been settled since 1819 that a state cannot actively attempt to undermine the execution of federal law or discriminate against the federal government. The American people are with us on this issue.”
Blaming what he indicated were Democratic policies in which border security was ignored, Sessions said the “open border crowd” was “fighting desperately to stop the good and decent wishes of the American people from being carried out.”
“They don’t like it when we deport people — even criminal aliens,” the AG said. “They don’t like it when we stop people at the border — even those smuggling children. They don’t like interior enforcement and they don’t like workplace enforcement. No matter what we do, they complain.”
Pointing to California, Sessions said many of the state’s politicians believe that “having any border at all is mean-spirited, unkind, or even bigoted.”
Sessions said that California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has said that “`there’s really no difference between my parents and (illegal) immigrants except a piece of paper.’ Paperwork, meaning compliance with our law, is important. And it’s a shame that I must say this to the top law enforcement official in California.”
But, Sessions added, “we are resolute. We are going to keep fighting. With President Trump and with your strong support for police and for the rule of law, I am confident that we will turn the tide and keep the American people safe.”