Serving Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Holmby, Century City, Trousdale, Brentwood, Westwood

Could Nate’n Al Be On The Move To Canon Drive?

Nate n' Al's

Posted Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 6:47 pm

By Matt Lopez

It wasn’t long ago there was serious concern about how much longer Nate’n Al would remain in business.

Now, it appears the legendary Beverly Hills deli may have legs to continue on into the future, but possibly at a different location.

Local attorney Murray Fischer filed papers with the City of Beverly Hills this week to register as a Legislative Advocate to help lobby for a potential move of Nate’n Al from its longtime Beverly Drive location, one block over to Canon Drive.

Fischer wrote on the Legislative Advocacy form, which filed with the City on Wednesday, that the purpose of his lobbying engagement was to help “successfully transfer City entitlements from Citizen’s Restaurant to new owners (Azoffs) to relocate Nate’N Al Deli Restaurant to Citizen’s site.”

Citizen has been open for just over two years at 184 N. Canon Dr., the site formerly occupied by Spaghettini. Listed under “Client Information” on Fischer’s Legislative Advocacy form are the names of Shelli and Irving Azoff, the longtime entertainment mogul and former chairman of Ticketmaster and LiveNation.

The Courier has not been able to confirm whether they are the owners, or affiliated to the new owners, of Nate’n Al or the Citizen site.

Fischer was traveling to Europe on Thursday when reached just before the Courier’s print deadline. He referred questions to attorney Mal Serure, but Serure did not respond before the Courier’s deadline.

Beverly Hills City Planner Ryan Gohlich said he had no knowledge of a potential Nate’n Al move to Canon Drive. Speaking hypothetically, Gohlich said it was difficult to speculate on what entitlements, permits or hearings Nate’n Al may or may not need to go through to complete a potential move, but added that “if they’re looking at Citizen, trying to go from one restaurant space to another, is generally not a big deal.”

Los Angeles food critic Jordan Okun, who first reported in February that Nate’n Al was for sale, discussed about the future of the deli on his podcast called Air Jordan last week.

“It’s still for sale, deals have fallen through. It’s not an easy thing to get done,” Okun said. “Last I heard, there was an interested party to buy the building who may or may not want to keep the brand, and another interested buyer in just the deli and the brand and they may have to move it to a different location.”

Retail power broker Jay Luchs, who was rumored to be involved in the sale months ago, told the Courier that he is no longer part of any potential transaction.

“Six months ago I was talking to potential buyers of the business about moving them there, but I honestly haven’t talked to the current owners or potential buyers in months,” Luchs said. “As far as I knew that deal died and I didn’t have much interest in fast tracking anything as I love Nate’n Al’s as it is, despite being on the sale side.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up for Breaking News & Alerts