Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 – 11:50 AM
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has ended speculation about his future by opting to retire from the NFL, reports said Tuesday.
The fate of Romo has been one of the biggest talking points of the close season with the 36-year-old mulling a move after losing his starting role last year to Dak Prescott.
Romo, who has spent his entire professional career with the Cowboys, had been linked to a move to the Denver Broncos and the Houston Texans in an attempt to reignite his career.
However ESPN and several outlets reported that the four-time Pro-Bowler had instead decided to walk away from the sport to pursue a career in broadcasting.
ESPN reported that Romo had an agreement with CBS to be the network’s analyst, replacing former NFL quarterback Phil Simms.
Last month Romo said goodbye to the Cowboys even though his fate remained unclear, taking to social media to thank his fans.
“Thanks for all the support everyone,” Romo tweeted, adding on Instagram, “Thanks for everything cowboy nation.”
Romo, who turns 37 this month, fractured his back last August and spent most of the season in rehabilitation only to find his place taken by Prescott, who led the Cowboys to the playoffs.
Romo is the Cowboys’ all-time leader with 34,183 passing yards and 248 touchdowns but has not played a full season since 2012 due to injuries, missing 21 games over the past two seasons.
© Agence France-Presse