Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 4:35 PM
(CNS) – Production was suspended Tuesday on the hit Netflix series “House of Cards” in the wake of allegations that star Kevin Spacey made sexual advances toward a 14-year-old actor in 1986.
In joint statement, Netflix and production company Media Rights Capital said the production was being put on hold indefinitely.
“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on `House of Cards’ season 6 until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” according to the companies.
MRC and Netflix announced Monday that “House of Cards” would be canceled after the upcoming season, although that decision was apparently made months before the allegations against Spacey arose on Sunday night.
“Star Trek: Discovery” actor Anthony Rapp, 46, said in a BuzzFeed article that Spacey made a sexual advance toward him in 1986 when he was 14 and Spacey was 26. Rapp said he was working on Broadway in New York and attended a party at Spacey’s apartment.
Rapp said he wandered into the bedroom and spent the evening watching TV after the. Then, Spacey entered.
“He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold,” he said. “But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, `What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me.
He was trying to seduce me,” said Rapp. “… I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.”
Rapp said he has wrestled with the events of that night for decades and was emboldened to share his story by recent accusations of sexual assaults by dozens of women speaking out against disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein.
Spacey responded to Rapp’s allegations on Twitter less than three hours after Rapp’s story appeared online.
“I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I’m beyond horrified to hear his story,” he said.
He said he does not remember the encounter, which would have occurred more than 30 years ago. “But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
Spacey went on to reveal that he is gay — earning him rebukes from many who accused him of trying to cover up the alleged attempted assault of a teenage boy with a “coming-out” announcement.
Netflix and MRC issued a statement Monday saying the companies were “deeply troubled” about the accusation against Spacey.
“In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced Monday it would not present Spacey with its Founder’s Award “in light of recent events.”