New Year’s resolutions for pets
As 2014 begins, doctors from BluePearl Veterinary Partners are encouraging pet parents to keep some New Year’s resolutions in mind for their pets, as well as themselves.
“While providing remarkable care for pets is what we do best, preventing injuries or disease is by far the most remarkable care, and that’s something any pet parent can provide,” said Dr. Jennifer Welser, chief medical officer of BluePearl. “Make your pet a part of your New Year’s resolutions and have a safe and happy new year.”
- Consider quitting smoking for yourself and your pet. Second hand smoke isn’t only harmful to people. It is also harmful to pets. Knock the habit to help keep yourself and your furry friend alive longer.
- Exercise with your pet. Exercising for both people and pets is a great way to stay in shape. The life expectancy of a pet can be significantly increased if they live a healthy and active life.
- Make sure you maintain regular visits with your family veterinarian. Pets age much faster than people, so doctors from BluePearl recommend taking your pet to your veterinarian twice a year.
- Consider obtaining a pet insurance policy to assist with funding in the event of a veterinary emergency. Companies like Trupanion offer pet health insurance. That can mean the difference between being able to save your furry friend or having to make the difficult decision to put him or her to sleep.
- Start an emergency fund. Setting aside $20 to $40 per paycheck can be a perfect way to save for emergency care.
About BluePearl Veterinary Partners: BluePearl Veterinary Partners employs more than 1,600 people including more than 450 veterinarians. BluePearl hospitals offer referral-only, specialty care services and most offer 24-hour emergency care. BluePearl does not provide primary care. The company is one of the world’s principal providers of approved veterinary residency and internship programs. BluePearl also participates in clinical trials that investigate the effectiveness of new veterinary drugs and treatments, providing pet families access to cutting-edge medicine that is not yet commercially available. BluePearl is headquartered in Tampa, Fla.
James P. Judge
Media and Public Relations Manager