Clippers Owner Donald Sterling To File $1 Billion Federal Lawsuit Against NBA
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling plans to file a $1 billion federal lawsuit against the National Basketball Association alleging he is being illegally forced out as owner of the franchise, his attorney said today.
Attorney Max Blecher confirmed to multiple media outlets that the lawsuit could be filed as early as today, alleging breach of contract, violation of constitutional rights and violation of anti-trust laws.
The anticipated lawsuit added yet another twist to the ever-changing drama over the team’s future. Sterling’s wife, Shelly, confirmed early today that she had reached a $2 billion agreement to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
Blecher told ESPN the planned lawsuit against the NBA had “nothing to do” with the potential sale, but said Donald Sterling, 80, is considering filing additional legal action against his wife over her negotiations to unload the team.
Adding to the confusion over who was controlling the team were reports that Sterling had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or declared mentally incapacitated. Questions about his mental health appeared to clear the way for Shelly Sterling to sell the team on behalf of the Sterling Family Trust, but Blecher insisted to ESPN that Donald Sterling “is far from mentally incompetent.”
According to her attorneys, Shelly Sterling was acting under her authority as the sole trustee of the trust, which owns the Clippers, when she signed a binding contract with Ballmer on Thursday. “I thank Shelly Sterling for her willingness to entrust the Clippers franchise to me, and I am grateful to NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and his colleagues for working collaboratively with me throughout this process,” Ballmer said. “I will be honored to have my name submitted to the NBA Board of Governors for approval as the next owner of the Los Angeles Clippers.”
Donald Sterling has been under fire over racist comments he made in a tape-recorded conversation with companion V. Stiviano. In the conversation, he chastised her for having her picture taken with black people, including Magic Johnson, and told her not to bring black people to Clippers games.
Sterling contended in a statement to the NBA this week that he was recorded illegally while making emotional remarks during a “lovers’ quarrel.”
The NBA’s Board of Governors is scheduled to meet Tuesday to vote on whether to expel Donald Sterling as an owner. A two-thirds vote of the league’s owners is required to oust Sterling. The NBA will also have to approve any sale of the Clippers.
Ballmer’s $2 billion offer for the team topped a $1.6 billion bid from a group that included entertainment mogul David Geffen and a $1.2 billion bid from investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh, the Los Angeles Times reported. The offer for the Clippers far surpasses the previous record for an NBA team — $550 million paid this month for the Milwaukee Bucks.
“I love basketball. And I intend to do everything in my power to ensure that the Clippers continue to win — and win big — in Los Angeles,” Ballmer said. “L.A. is one of the world’s great cities… I am confident that the Clippers will in the coming years become an even bigger part of the community.”
Ballmer, 58, was part of a group that last year tried to purchase the Sacramento Kings and move the team to Seattle. The NBA, however, balked at moving the franchise. Ballmer has said he had no intention of trying to move the Clippers out of Los Angeles.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said he and all Los Angeles basketball fans look forward to “putting the past behind us and looking forward to a new and winning era for the Clippers.”
“I congratulate Steve Ballmer and look forward to working with him and the Clippers to make a positive impact on our city,” Garcetti said.