George Christy Talks About K Chocolatier and more!
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 5:38 pm
Who knew that Jackie Kennedy, during her White House years as First Lady, hired a personal chocolate maker in Diane Kron of Kron Chocolatier?
While there are varied delicious flavors within the Kron Chocolate kingdom to acquaint oneself with, Jackie’s favorite was the truffle of rich dark chocolate. Diane revealed that Jackie needed to hide these treats from her sister, Lee Radziwill, who had no qualms about helping herself.
History records that the Kron family chocolate recipes were popular as far back as the late 1800’s. When Emperor Franz Josef of Austro-Hungary considered them his favorite desserts. The Emperor would be elated today, knowing that his favorites are the hue and cry in Beverly Hills, where K Chocolatier by Diane Kron has an intensely loyal following.
We discovered that Diane’s husband Tom launched the first Kron Chocolatier in Manhattan’s posh Upper East Side to emphasize the high-end quality of his product.
“Always giving customers my best,” was Tom’s key philosophy that bridged his customers to what it is today, the “Rolls Royce of fine chocolates.”
The family takes credit for creating the chocolate-covered strawberry, a passion of Elizabeth Taylor’s, who claimed, “I will never have enough.”
After Diane lost her visionary husband, their son David stepped aside from a successful law practice to take over Tom’s responsibility in the venerated chocolate empire. Making fresh batches daily, for our Beverly Hillbillies.
Truth to tell, Tom lifted the profile of the Kron signature by choosing fashionable locations, leading with confidence and establishing the surprising nutritional value of chocolates.
Convinced the product was worth it, Tom, in 1973, raised the price five times that of American chocolates.
To Diane’s credit, she popularized the luxury gift item of “liquor” chocolates, filled with Patrón Silver tequila, Ketel One vodka and Johnnie Walker Blue Label whisky. Packaged in a cocktail shaker, or an exclusive ladybug box, also a lovely bouquet, or the Kron signature garden of roses that melts ladies’ hearts on birthdays, anniversaries, or the anticipated St. Valentine’s Day.
Our Kron family informs that it takes 400 cocoa beans to make one pound of chocolate!
• The aroma of chocolate increases theta brain waves which trigger relaxation.
• Europeans account for half of the world’s chocolate consumption, each one consuming 24 pounds of chocolate a year.
• In 2013, Belgium issued a chocolate-flavored stamp.
• Eating dark chocolate everyday reportedly reduces the risk of heart disease by 1/3.
• Dark chocolate is a powerful source of antioxidants. Helps protect against oxidative stress, a major cause behind accelerated aging.
• Flavonoid-rich cocoa beans aid in lowering blood pressure and improves elasticity of blood vessels to maintain a healthy circulatory system.
• Rich in flavonoids, dark chocolate may improve brain function with favorable effects on learning and memory function.
• Dark chocolate possibly balances cholesterol levels and regulates blood sugar levels.
• Theobromine is the compound in chocolate that makes it poisonous to dogs.
• Mice actually prefer chocolate over cheese. They love sweet-smelling food and more attracted to a piece of chocolate than a chunk of cheddar.
• Chocolate actually is a vegetable, coming as it does from the cocoa bean.
• White chocolate is not chocolate, since it doesn’t contain cocoa beans.
• M & Ms were created for soldiers in the Spanish Civil War. The hard-sugary coating prevented the candy from melting in the hot sun.
• Each year, multiple celebrations of chocolate pack in the chocoholics around the world.
• K Chocolatier by Diane Kron Stores …
9606 Santa Monica Blvd.
mon-sat 10-6, sun 12-5
3835 Cross Creek Rd.
open 7 days, 11-7